After a couple frustrating weeks of phone calls, interviews, and impatient waiting, I finally found a spot to do my field education placement at! From this past Sunday on, I am the official Pastoral Intern at the North Prospect Union UCC in Medford, MA. The church has about a 70 member congregation and is located a quick 10 minute train and 20 minute walk from my apartment.
At this point, you, being a person not of the cloth (does that make you naked?), may be wondering what exactly it is that a Pastoral Intern does.
Well you see my bare-bottomed friend, in the position of Pastoral Intern one simply interns pastorally. That is, he partakes of all things all things pastoral/ministerial in nature. So, during the course of any week I may be preaching, leading worship services, assisting with communion (in a capacity other than finishing off the leftover Blood of Christ mind you), organizing bible studies, helping set up for church events, making pastoral visits to hospitals and retirement homes, or even giving children's sermons (in some circles known as contributing to the delinquency of minors).
Basically, I will get a crack at all aspects of being a minister with the exception that I don't get to wear one of those fancy collar things :( Despite that sad fact, the people at the church seem friendly and have been gracious about having a large-schnozed young minister-wannabe in their midst.

0 comments:
Post a Comment