Oy Vey

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Although it is not my main reason for entering the ministry, I have to admit that having only one day of actual work a week (and that for 2 hours) is certainly an added perk of the job. That being said however, when one becomes accustomed to such a light workload it is all the more jarring when one is confronted with a week heavily laden with all sorts of services. I am now learning that Holy Week is to a minister what tax season is to an accountant.

In this coming week my church will be putting on a tenebraé service for Maundy Thursday, a Taizé/labyrinth-walking service for Good Friday, and two pretty standard worship services on Easter Sunday. Although I am only doing readings for the Maundy Thursday service and one of the Easter services, I have a lead role in putting together the Good Friday service and am completely in charge of one of the Easter services. It wouldn't be so bad I suppose except that because these are the "High Holy Days" of the Christian year, church attendance will be way up and we have to put on a crazy good showing or else risk turning the twice-a-year churchgoers off from coming even as little as they already do. Let us all pray that I don't say anything too blasphemous. 

0 comments: